Mental Health, Mental Illness, on Block Island

advocating for services and support for those who are ill and education for mental health to all on Block Island

Agenda/Minutes/File July19-Jun20

Minutes of ANNUAL Meeting of NAMI BI, June, 18, 2020.              

Present: Jim Hinthorn, Tracy Fredericks, Will Young, Socha Cohen, Elspeth Crawford, Beth Gaffett Tengwall, Pat Tengwall,

Apologies: Kristin Baumann, Gloria Redlich, Jill Seppa, Alison Warfel, Kyra Ernst

Zoom Meeting, 8:30 AM (following June regular meeting)

JH opened the meeting at 9.35 am, and read the Mission Statement [2020]

NAMI Block Island is a nonprofit organization whose purposes are to advocate for mental health services being brought to the island, to enable education about mental illness and wellness in the community and to join others in supporting the families of persons with mental illness.

President’s Report: The annual report for 2019- 20 will follow

Treasurer’s Report: Given at June Board Meeting, Formal Balance Sheet will be submitted at July Board Meeting

Motion to Approve Bylaw Amendments:

Wording concerning quorate meetings via virtual /online attendance by telephone, social media or conference platforms such as Zoom will be accepted as attendance had these had previously been approved verbally. Two other changes, Re-wording of Mission Statement and Conflict of interest declaration had been circulated through google group and approved.   The 2020 Bylaws Amendments were passed unanimously.

Nomination of Board of Directors:

  • Minimum of 5 not to exceed 15
  • In Good Standing- current membership in NAMI National
  • Initial Board has terms of 1, 2, and 3 years
  • Board Members with expiring terms- Jim Hinthorn, Jill Seppa, and Alison Warfel

Board members with expiring terms were re-elected for a further three year term. It was confirmed that Board members may resign earlier before the end of their term, and JH intimated that he intended to serve for only one further year.

Nomination of Officers for 2020/2021

  • Jim Hinthorn- President
  • Kristin Baumann- Vice President
  • Patrick Tengwall- Treasurer
  • Elspeth Crawford- Secretary

The nomination of officers was moved and agreed.

The meeting was adjourned at 9.42 am.

Submitted 06/06/2019, Elspeth Crawford


NAMI-BI, Agenda, ANNUAL Meeting, June 18, 2020

Zoom Meeting, 8:30 AM (following June regular meeting)

Call to Order

Mission Statement

President’s Report

Treasurer’s Report

Motion to Approve Bylaw Amendments

Nomination of Board of Directors

  • Minimum of 5 not to exceed 15
  • In Good Standing- current membership in NAMI National
  • Initial Board has terms of 1, 2, and 3 years
  • Board Members with expiring terms- Jim Hinthorn, Jill Seppa, and Alison Warfel

Nomination of Officers for 2020/2021

  • Jim Hinthorn- President
  • Kristin Baumann- Vice President
  • Patrick Tengwall- Treasurer
  • Elspeth Crawford- Secretary

Adjournment


NAMI BI Notes of Board Meeting, June 18th, 2020.                 

Zoom meeting, present: Jim Hinthorn, Pat Tengwall, Beth Gaffett Tengwall, Socha Cohen, Elspeth Crawford Will Young, Tracy Fredericks

Apologies: Kristin Baumann, Gloria Redlich, Jill Seppa, Alison Warfel, Kyra Ernst

JH opened the meeting at 8.34. Read the 2020 Mission Statement, and noted that amendments to bylaws to be voted on at AGM following.

NAMI Block Island is a nonprofit organization whose purposes are to advocate for mental health services being brought to the island, to enable education about mental illness and wellness in the community and to join others in supporting the families of persons with mental illness.

Minutes of May 14, 2020 Meeting were approved. JH drew attention to the NAMI Conference information that was sent to all members by email, This year it will be held virtually on 13/14 July and is free. He reported that all other items from presidents report are in the Agenda.

 

Treasurer’s Report: PT said the bank account now stood at $21,128.74 which included a donation of $550. The donation from NAMI BI to SAC approved at the May meeting had not yet been actioned so would be done immediately.

 

Case Manager’s Report: TF explained that due to COVID-19 restrictions clients in telemedicine were consulting with the doctor from Butler by telephone, not computer. Restrictions at Butler meant the doctor could not work from the office. TF is still meeting new clients at the medical center, but they will wait until July for the new doctor who will take over at that time is the usual yearly rotation. There had been a problem at Butler as their computer system had been hacked and this had made scheduling difficult. The adaptation to circumstances while not ideal seemed to be working well, including the required cleaning, mask wearing, etc. after each visit at the Medical Center.

 

General liability Insurance has been obtained and Beth Lamarr of NAMI RI is aware, so all matters concerning NAMIBI and affiliation with NAMI are now resolved.

SC reported that she had begun the Family to Family virtual course with RI but had problems with bandwidth of the internet available, so hoped that would be better during the next sessions.

 

Launch of Telepsych services for Adolescents Everything is in readiness, but no clients have yet used the service. TF will liaise with Marguerite Donaldson the school social worker. In discussion it was recognized that $5000 grant from Roosa Fund for the launch of this service had not been taken up, but could be used for promotion of the service. JH and Pt will follow this up with the Roosa Fund.

 

The business of 5 Year Strategic Plan, Remaining conflict of interest form [GR], Data Base and PR work with the BI Times will be kept on the Agenda. JH, KB, JS, PT, WY will look at previous minutes for detail and continue to work on these.

 

New Business:

During the meeting, comment was made regarding the release of restrictions due to the pandemic and the inconsistency with which caution still required by the RI governor was being heeded. Discussion referred to practice on the BI Ferry, the shops, BIG etc. some good practice, some less so, and there were concerns about physical health because of this. Dr. Warcup’s recent you tube video was good. There was also discussion about the effect of COVID -19 and how restrictions or economic concerns as well as fear of illness affected mental health. It was difficult to see how NAMI BI can help apart from as individuals saying “is there anything you would need that we might do?” And sharing what we have such as the 741 741 text line, or articles from NAMI etc, and doing this informally. Those with valid authority, eg police or school or medical center are responsible in their duty of care to act within their jurisdiction, and would not welcome NAMI BI interference. TF will reach out to the school informally.  SC will send an article to EC for placement on the website re the text line. [at time of writing this is already done]

 

The COVID -19 restrictions also affect much of the planned work of NAMI BI, and all other matters on the agenda.

It was agreed that the Conference Planning of Crisis Intervention Team should carry forward to 2021 conference. Following the Black Lives Matter protests, it was noted that the Mayor in San Francicco had mentioned CIT on cable news. The CIT subcommittee, Josh’s yellow benches, would be kept in mind. The BI Film Festival was probably cancelled – we had not heard about postponement, the Fun Run in august was cancelled.

 

Actions decided April and May meetings:

 

KB was complimented on her weekly messages, and would be asked to continue. The Post Office box mailing also mentioned.

 

Regarding funds, JH had made a request for $3000 to Town, but was not hopeful. As agreed in May, as previous funding from Town was for TF work and that was now held at the Medical Center, NAMI BI request as for materials and promotion. JH and PT will continue with this and with the Roosa fund grant, so that from at least one source funds would be available. A thankyou to the donor [Gallant family in support of their daughter] will be sent. PT noted that Martha Ball is now chair of Roosa Fund Board. EC suggested that promotional funding should be used for employing someone as well as actual materials, because as we were volunteers no-one seemed to have enough time to get on with the promotion / public education work needed. She thought it  was a pity that JS was not at the meeting, as she had some experience of promotional work. WY said the data base could be used but until feedback was received it was difficult to work with the names, such as when John Smith and Jane Doe were actually one household. A mailing could be sent later in the year.

 

The  next meeting will be Thursday, July 9th, 8.30 am, preferably physically outside to be decided, with sufficient internet service for online access.

 

ACTIONS

PT – check to SAC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JH, PT – Roosa Fund

 

JH, KB, JS, PT, WY

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

KB

 

JH, PT,
Town and Roosa

?JH or PT?
thankyou to donor

ALL?

 

 

JH

Submitted 06/19/2020, Elspeth Crawford

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

NAMI-BI Agenda, June 18, 2020

Virtual Zoom Meeting, 8:30 AM

Call to Order

Mission Statement

Minutes of May 14, 2020 Meeting

President’s Report

Treasurer’s Report

Case Manager’s Report

Old Business

  • General Liability Insurance- Issue with Beth Lamare
  • Launch of Telepsych services for Adolescents- TF, AW
  • 5 Year Strategic Plan Committee- KB, JS, PT, WY
  • Conflict of Interest Forms- was mailed to Gloria
  • Data Base Report- WY, KB, JH
  • PR Work with BI Times- KB, WY

 

New Business

  • 2021 May Conference Planning (topic, Crisis Intervention Team)- Mayor in SF mentions CIT on cable news!
  • CIT Subcommittee Report on Tasks- KE, AW, KB, TF & Peter Preiser
  • Josh’s Yellow Benches Proposal (Suicide Prevention Awareness)- JH
  • Nominating Committee Report- Pres, Vice Pres, Secretary, Treasurer- at annual meeting
  • Budget (2020/2021) and Request to Town- JH did present to TC this week
  • Fundraising Appeal for 2020- All
  • BI Film Festival- probably canceled?
  • Fun Run (with Medical Center) on Sunday, August 2, 2020- This has been canceled- JH
  • Action Plans from April 9th Meeting- Feedback on weekly messages and our Post Office box mailing
  • COVID-19- what more should we be doing from a mental health perspective- All
  • Socha- Text message organization history on our website and school issues

Adjournment- Next Meeting Date (Zoom or in person)- Thursday, July 9th

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

NAMI BI Notes of Board Meeting, May 14th, 2020.                 

Zoom meeting, present: Jim Hinthorn, Kristin Baumann, Pat Tengwall, Beth Gaffett Tengwall, Socha Cohen, Elspeth Crawford

Apologies: Alison Warfel, Kyra Ernst

JH opened the meeting at 8.34. Read the Mission Statement, noted that updated statement is to be voted on.

There were no minutes of April 9, 2020 Meeting but 5 items that were discussed are under New Business

President’s Report: Apart from that in the business to be discussed, JH gave the date of the next meeting to be June 18, which would include the AGM, the reason for the date being that time was required for the official business of the nominating committee before the AGM too place.

Treasurer’s Report: The old bank account is now officially closed and the balance transferred to the new account. It stands at $19,608.74. Payments made have been for website domain name [$26], data base [$39] and General Liability Insurance $580. There has been no income since the last report.

Case Manager’s Report: not given, as TF not present

Old Business

JH reported a conversation with Beth Lamarr of NAMI RI re Affiliation with the State and National organization. We are now confirmed as an affiliate. As the General Liability Insurance has now also been agreed and paid that formal business will be complete when the General Liability Insurance certificate has been sent to Beth Lamarr, PT will do this immediately.

 

The Telepsych Services for Adolescents has begun, with access through the Medical Center, and Case Manager. We are all pleased that NAMIBI advocacy started the long process, and thank those who worked to then bring it about. Socha Cohen noted also that the governor of RI, Gina Raimondo, has stated that all telemedicine would at this time [COVID-19] be available without referral and mandated that it should be covered by insurance.

 

JH will send a final conflict of interest form to GR, who will sign and return.

 

Work on the 5 Year Strategic Plan, the Data Base Report and PR work with BI Times is in abeyance, will be taken up again when possible.

 

New Business

The effects of COVID-19 restrictions and responses apply.

The 2020 May 29/30th Conference has been cancelled and the website is up-to-date. There is no action on the Josh’s Yellow Benches Proposal. Action Plans from the April  9th Meeting have taken place.

 

The Medical Center updates in response to the shelter in place restrictions and KB’s weekly updates to BI Bulletin Board are excellent.

 

PT has spoken with Mary D fund who would accept a donation but asked that NAMIBI hold off from donations at the moment.

 

Postcards for box-holders have been delivered to Becky Brown at the PO. WY thanked for his donation and KE and AW for the work in designing them.

GR reported on Senior needs. SAC had had enough volunteers for the Senior Ride Service. GR explained the budget needs for this service. She reported that as transportation was considered an essential service on the mainland, that SAC was  negotiating with RIPTA. NAMI BI voted to donate $2000 to the Senior Ride Service, all in favour with GR recused.  GR thanked NAMI BI on behalf of SAC.

 

Bylaw Revisions (had been circulated and discussed by googlegroup email. A vote was taken agreed by all that the Bylaws as revised by Eliot Taubman with the changes proposed to the Mission Statement and the paragraph re “conflict of interest” would be accepted. Sufficient notice has been given for this to be dealt with at the AGM on 18th June. For the record, these changes are added below.* JH reported that nominations for officers had also been brought by the nominating committee.

 

Discussion took place regarding the Town budget, now that NAMI BI is no longer responsible for the Case Manager, and that item has been set at $0 in the 2020/2021 budget. It was agreed that the Town should not lose the place for our work within Community Support, and indeed should support all the Human Services. It was agreed [with SC dissenting, who thought we should not seek support now] that we should ask for $3000 fo rthe purpose of providing materials that would be used to raise awareness of mental health issues employers, their employees, and real estate, all of which are part of BI economy. Given that at the moment the normal budget process are affected by COVID-19 restrictions, and we may in any case be too late to make this request, PT will contact Town Hall to discover the situation and act in response to what he finds. This should be done as soon as possible.

 

The BI Film Festival is either cancelled or postponed, and the August Fun Run is cancelled. Our 2020 fundraising will be by mailing, which is dependent on the data base work, and will happen after the summer.

 

The next meeting date will be on 18th June, beginning 8.30 am, coinciding with AGM, via Zoom. JH will arrange order as required, and inform by email.

 

 

 

ACTIONS

 

PT

 

 

 

JH, GR

 

 

 

 

 

 

PT, GR

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PT – asap

 

 

 

WY and JH

JH

 

 

 

 

Submitted 05/19/2020, Elspeth Crawford

_______________________________________________________________________________________________ 

*From email of March 14th, agreed by all, for the record these changes are made to the new bylaws document that Eliot Taubman submitted:

 

Mission Statement: NAMI BLOCK ISLAND is a nonprofit organization whose purposes are to advocate for mental health services being brought to the island, to enable education about mental illness and wellness in the community and to join others in supporting the families of persons with mental illness.

 

Should the circumstances of a member of the Board change so that a conflict of interest might then arise, this should be disclosed to the Board at the next scheduled meeting


NAMI-BI, Agenda, May 14, 2020

Virtual Zoom Meeting, 8:30 AM

Call to Order

Mission Statement

Minutes of April 9, 2020 Meeting (no minutes but 5 items discussed- see under New Business

President’s Report

Treasurer’s Report

Case Manager’s Report

Old Business

  • Update on Affiliation with State/National organization- JH
  • General Liability Insurance- Hooray!- PT
  • Launch of Telepsych services for Adolescents- Has it actually happened- TF, AW
  • 5 Year Strategic Plan Committee- KB, JS, PT, WY
  • Conflict of Interest Forms- Missing Gloria’s
  • Data Base Report- WY, KB, JH
  • PR Work with BI Times- KB, WY

 

New Business

  • 2020 May 29/30th Conference Planning (topic, Crisis Intervention Team)-Canceled or Postponed? All
  • CIT Subcommittee Report on Tasks- KE, AW, KB, TF & Peter Preiser
  • Josh’s Yellow Benches Proposal (Suicide Prevention Awareness)- JH
  • Bylaw Revisions (Mission Statement, Conflict of Interest, Quorum) – Are we set to vote?
  • Nominating Committee Report- Pres, Vice Pres, Secretary, Treasurer
  • Budget (2020/2021) and Request to Town- Has this opportunity come and gone?
  • Fundraising Appeal for 2020- All
  • BI Film Festival- probably canceled?
  • Fun Run (with Medical Center) on Sunday, August 2, 2020- This has been canceled- JH
  • Action Plans from April 9th Meeting- Patrick to check on Mary D Fund, Kristin to do weekly communications to public, Socha to speak with Gloria on senior needs, Will to produce informational box holder post card with content input from Alison/Kyra, and last but not least, support to Medical Center.

Adjournment- Next Meeting Date (Zoom vs. FaceTime)


NAMI BI Notes of Board Meeting, February 20th, 2020.           

Present: Jim Hinthorn, Kristin Baumann, Alison Warfel, Kyra Ernst, Pat Tengwall, Beth Gaffett Tengwall, Socha Cohen, Jill Seppa, Tracy Fredericks, Will Young [phone] Elspeth Crawford [online].

Apologies: Gloria Redlich

JH opened the meeting at 4.30pm, read the Mission statement: NAMI BLOCK ISLAND is a nonprofit organization whose purposes are to bring mental health services to the island, to educate the public about mental illness in order to reduce stigma, and to provide support for families of persons with mental illness.

The minutes of 01/09/2020 meeting were approved with the addition of apology from JS.

President’s report: JH said that the agenda contains the issues he wants to report, including rewriting of the mission statement and adjusting bylaws, but he also noted that he and KB had received a letter from Cassius Shuman, Director if BI Film Festival to say he had a film he would like to show as NAMI-BI Spotlight film at our new venue for 2020– BIMI. The film is called “I Smile Back” and stars Sarah Silverman.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Income from ‘Stripe’ [website donation] is $100 less a small processing fee, and donations of $700 by checks. Expenses this month have been renewal of the PO Box. The total in both accounts [the old one still to be closed] is $20,284.

 

Case Manager’s Report: There are lots of calls, especially over the weekend, all answered. There was a difficulty as teleconnection went down but resolved.

 

Old Business:

Regarding the Affiliation with State/National organization, PT reported that a letter had been received which included a Certificate of Affiliation. However it was addressed to Steve Holloway, and was for approval of “Model B”. In other words was a response to the now outdated application made by Steve two years ago. In February 2019, as NAMI RI had rejected Model B, we had completed the process of becoming a 501c organization, so affiliation is sought via Model C. JH will take this up.

 

PT then reported that General Liability Insurance had been refused by several companies because it appeared that NAMIBI was providing services, which has never been the case. This was assumed because of the mission statement and website language. Mission: ‘purposes are to bring mental health services to the island’ and Website: ‘aims to improve mental health services on the island’ and a Services menu item. EC will adjust the website wording to clarify that NAMIBI is NOT a provider of services. All will think about the mission statement wording as part of bylaws revision.

 

The launch of Telepsych Services for Children and Adolescents has still to happen. AW said contacts continue and meetings to sort through the process have taken place. JH asked if there was any way to move this forward, and said he would try to do so by making another approach from NAMIBI.

 

Constructing the Data Base is slow and time consuming. WY reported on the work done so far, saying he hoped it would be ready by late Spring. The beginning grant runs out on 29 February, and Eleo [online host company] will then receive $30 per month.

 

New Business:

2020 May 29/30th Conference Planning [KB, SC, TF, AW, KE]. SC reported all is on track. She and KB said that involving young people is difficult on the Friday evening as so much happens during May, and that thinking about them might mean thinking about a different event possibly in September /October. The Friday evening would show a TED talk and discussion. JS commented that previous conferences had engaged a few families, and that the spread of involvement in the community made even a few worthwhile. All agreed.

 

From the CIT subcommittee, we heard about a text Crisis number 741741, that had been tried and brought responses. EC will add it to the website.  JS said that she hoped to repeat the ‘BOAT’ seminar for employers and owners that had been held last year. [Business Owners Awareness Team, BOAT]. The Josh’s Yellow Benches proposal would be kept in mind.

 

Budget (2020/2021) and Request to Town  All considered it important that NAMI BI should keep a line in the budget. This was fought for four years ago specifically to cover the Case Manager remuneration, and last year was $10,000. As NAMI BI is no longer responsible for the Case Manager, after the work was accepted by the Medical Center, we should ask for a smaller sum for a different specific purpose. The time for budget application is immediate. After discussion, JS and KB agreed to compose and write a letter to the Town, asking for $3000 in order to provide a “resource manual” for business owners, employees, realtors and the community at large. The “resource manual” would comprise flyers and related materials for publicity, details to be decided later.

 

Fundraising Appeal Discussion showed that this is dependent on the data base, and that as May would be an already busy month the timing was probably not good. A fundraising letter would be better sent after the summer.

 

BI Film Festival this year is June 15- 20, the letter from Cash was discussed. NAMIBI should again offer support as last year [travel, refreshments and awards]. However, a second film, Jim Stevenson “Lost and Found” will also be shown at the festival and given the Stevenson connection with BI, and the long association with his widow, Josie Merck, no decision was made. All will think about whether we support, “I Smile Back” or “Lost and Found” or both. [trailer for I smile back and info re Lost and Found]

 

The Fun Run (with Medical Center) will be on Sunday, August 2, 2020. JH is again organizing.

 

Dates and Times for future meetings were discussed, hoping that Marguerite Donaldson, School Social Worker can attend.  The next meeting will be Thursday March 12th, at 4.30 pm in The Island Free Library.

 

The meeting adjourned at 6pm.

ACTIONS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JH

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

EC

 

AW, JH

 

WY

 

 

KB, SC,
TF, AW, KE

 

 

JS

 

JS, KB

URGENT

 

 

 

 

 

All

 

JH

ALL

 

Submitted 02/22/2020, Elspeth Crawford


 

NAMI-BI, Agenda, February 20, 2020

Library, 4:30 PM

Call to Order

Mission Statement

Minutes of January 9, 2020 Meeting

President’s Report

Treasurer’s Report

Case Manager’s Report

Old Business

  • Update on Affiliation with State/National organization- JH
  • General Liability Insurance- PT
  • Launch of Telepsych services for Adolescents- TF, AW
  • 5 Year Strategic Plan Committee- KB, JS, PT, WY
  • Conflict of Interest Forms- Missing Gloria’s and any others?
  • Data Base Report- WY, KB, JH
  • PR Work with BI Times- KB, WY

 

New Business

  • 2020 May 29/30th Conference Planning (topic, Crisis Intervention Team)- KB, SC, TF, AW, KE
  • CIT Subcommittee Report on Tasks- KE, AW, KB, TF & Peter Preiser
  • Josh’s Yellow Benches Proposal (Suicide Prevention Awareness)- JH
  • Bylaw Revisions (Mission Statement, Conflict of Interest, Quorum)- JH
  • Budget (2020/2021) and Request to Town- PT & All
  • Fundraising Appeal for 2020- All
  • BI Film Festival- ??
  • Fun Run (with Medical Center) on Sunday, August 2, 2020- JH
  • Dates & Times of Future Meetings- All

Adjournment- Next Meeting Date, Island Free Library


NAMI BI Notes of Board Meeting, December 12th, 2019.                     

Present:, Kristin Baumann, Tracy Fredericks, Beth Gaffett Tengwall, Pat Tengwall, Alison Warfel, Will Young [phone] Elspeth Crawford [online], Sue B Black attending for Wings program.

Apologies: Jim Hinthorn, Jill Seppa, Socha Cohen, Gloria Redlich, Kyra Ernst

KB opened the meeting at 8.30 am and we were reminded of the Mission statement, and minutes of 11/7/19 meeting approved.

President’s report: “Thank you all for helping us make progress towards our mission statement”, by email.

Treasurer’s Report: sent by email, approved. PT will send details of the new bank card to EC so that she can enter them into our WordPress account for renewal of the domain name in January.

Case Manager’s Report: TF reported that the service was busy.

Concerning the launch of the new telepsych services for children and adolescents, TF said she was presently receiving/sending about 3 emails daily with Bradley and will meet with them on December 18 to get the service moving, as the technical difficulties are closer to resolution. She and AW for the Medical Center also have to liaise, as young people have to have a general health check [blood pressure, weight, etc.] before they can be on a telepsych program. This news was very welcome to the Board, and KB will ensure that JH is informed.

TF also reported that a new camera recommended by Tracy Guthrie [co-ordinator of telepsych for adults at Butler] was good. Also, for information, Pam Hoffman who would have been co-ordinator of the new adolescent service for Bradley is no longer working there. The work will be taken on by her successor.

Old Business

Update on Affiliation with State/National organization  Bylaws are being reviewed by Elliot Taubman. When he reports the affiliation will proceed

 

General Liability Insurance  PT had sent update by email: Arianne Guiney, Lathrop Insurance, says she has “sent all of NAMI BI’s information over to a few carriers and I’ve been checking in with them/pestering them regularly.  We have an underwriter at Philly who shares my affection for your organization and is helping to push through all the applications.” PT will continue to update the Board.

 

Launch of Telepsych services for Adolescents as above in Case Manager Report.

 

5 Year Strategic Plan KB, JS, PT, WY have not met, but KB said that she will organize a meeting next month when WY is on island. Sue B is attending this meeting to present information relevant to NAMI BI future strategy. For this and other reasons, the mix of structural changes and the completion of several items in this and previous agenda, the time is now right to look at future strategy .

 

Conflict of Interest Forms Still missing Gloria and Kyra – will be collected.

 

Data Base Report, and Fund Raising/Donation Requests WY received the data list from Town, and had put in many hours trying to clean it [duplications etc.] which task he will continue. WY, KB and JH had met and decided that a mailing would be postponed until the list was in good enough shape to use for a postal mailing, as this is expensive. Instead an advert, half page, was prepared for the BI Times, inserted in this week’s paper. Online giving is now in place, integrated with the database, and the ad carries this information as well as the NAMI BI Box number for donation. EC will send the information to BIBB for Friday – at the same time as the BI Times ad will be available. WY will create flyers, more visual and with shorter text, that can be printed and placed at various places, BIG, Bank, Library etc. PT can print these.

 

PR with BI Times KB said that the ad re our activity and donation request was paid, but she and WY continue to work with BI Times and hopefully will run a story, or free ad.

 

New Business

2020 May 29/30th Conference Planning (topic, Crisis Intervention)- KB and SC had met, gone through the logistics of planning for the two days, work to be done, speakers, round table invitations etc. The Friday evening will as in previous years try to involve young people. Will continue to update the Board as the plans develop, all is good for this stage.

 

CIT Subcommittee Report on Tasks Given that January may see the launch of telepsych, rather than do too much all at once, action tasks will be planned for later in 2020. The report on Seattle Conference will be taken off the Agenda, accounts of it have been heard, and the CIT subcommittee takes the learning forward.

 

Ongoing Programs at Library Since the end of the summer programs, NAMI BI has not offered anything specific to us, but when other activities have Mental Health relevance, our support is offered. For example, in January and February, Socha Cohen is offering sessions on the climate emergency, and EC said that she belongs to The Climate Psychology Alliance and members of this international group report a very concerning upsurge in clients/patients of all ages presenting with what is being called eco-anxiety. Also, they are clear that this is damaging to mental health but is a consequence of the world climate problems external to the person concerned, an appropriate response, rather than a pathology of the individual. KB will make sure our flyers are available at these and other sessions.

KB has used the library Instagram account to promote mental health – for those of the Board who do not use social media, the screen shot below is what it looks like, and also note that from our community it has received 33 “likes”:

 

Sue H. and Gloria R. discussions re Behavioral Health issues and Aging It was suggested that this be taken off the agenda, as Sue and Gloria would let us know when there were developments. In the meantime it could remain on the SC checklists.

 

Healthy Bodies Healthy Minds Website AW and EC reported their views, which were similar. This is a South County Wellness Coalition initiative, aiming to collect useful information, much of which is available generally, and information about actions/events occurring in South County. EC will add the URL to our website list and let them know ours. Geographically the material about events on the site may not fit with our island community, but this could be seen from the other angle, that island individuals might like to be involved in mainland activities.

 

The next Board meeting will be on January 9th, 8:30 AM, Island Free Library, upstairs, enter by side door.

The meeting adjourned at 10.00 am

ACTIONS

JH

 

 

PT

 

 

 

 

 

TF, AW

 

KB, JS, PT, WY

Also Sue B

 

 

 

 

GR KE

WY

 

 

EC

WY, PT

 

KB, WY

 

KB, SC, TF, AW, KE

 

KE, AW, KB, TF & Peter Preiser

 

 

SC

KB

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

EC

 

Submitted 12/12/2019, Elspeth Crawford,


NAMI-BI, Agenda, December 12, 2019

Library, 8:30 AM

Call to Order

Mission Statement

Minutes of November 7, 2019 Meeting

President’s Report- “Thank you all for helping us make progress towards our mission statement”, JH

Treasurer’s Report

Case Manager’s Report

Old Business

  • Update on Affiliation with State/National organization- Elliot reviewing bylaws
  • General Liability Insurance- PT (needed for affiliation & general protection)
  • Launch of Telepsych services for Adolescents (2019?)- frustrating to say the least
  • 5 Year Strategic Plan Committee- KB, JS, PT, WY
  • Conflict of Interest Forms- Missing Gloria’s & Kyra’s
  • Data Base Report- WY, KB, JH
  • PR Work with BI Times- KB, WY

 

New Business

  • 2020 May 29/30th Conference Planning (topic, Crisis Intervention Team)- KB, SC, TF, AW, KE
  • CIT Subcommittee Report on Tasks- KE, AW, KB, TF & Peter Preiser
  • Report on Seattle Conference- KE, TF
  • Ongoing Programs at Library- EC, KB, GR,
  • Update on Sue H. and Gloria R. discussions re Behavioral Health issues and Aging (media format?)- SH, GR
  • Healthy Bodies Healthy Minds Website/Organization- joining a website or an organization? All
  • 2019 Fundraising Effort- KB, WY

 

Adjournment- Next Meeting Date, January 9, 2020 8:30 AM, Island Free Library- HAPPY NEW YEAR!


NAMI BI Notes of Board Meeting, November 7th, 2019.                      

Present: Jim Hinthorn, Kristin Baumann, Socha Cohen, Gloria Redlich, Beth Gaffett Tengwall, Pat Tengwall, Will Young [phone] Elspeth Crawford [online],

Apologies: Jill Seppa, Tracy Fredericks,

JH opened the meeting at 8.30 am and read the Mission statement:

NAMI BLOCK ISLAND is a nonprofit organization whose purposes are to bring mental health services to the island, to educate the public about mental illness in order to reduce stigma, and to provide support for families of persons with mental illness.

President’s report: JH referred to the agenda, where items in his report would be discussed, especially he noted that financial issues and need for fundraising, use of the data base etc had to be determined.

Treasurer’s Report: PT spoke to the reports he had circulated. He noted receipt of a check from Network for Good, and from BIHS following the FunRun. TF has been reimbursed for August contract services and travel, so in future payment to her is now through BI Medical Center, and the only remaining duty being the issue of her 1099 form at the end of this year. This change re TF’s employment is now settled with final payment to NAMI BI to come from Town, and invoice has been sent. Overall, the checking account is basically $3000 down, with a net loss of $1000 over the year. WY and PT agree that small contributors to funds be sent another request, see Fundraising effort below. SC thanked PT and reminded the Board that we should still make request to the Town for funds and that should be prepared by January.

Case Manager’s Report: JH gave the report from TF that the service was really busy with new clients, and that the new computer and camera were “great”. TF would also like to attend CIT training next year with KE, so support for this should be kept on agenda.

Old Business

Update on Affiliation with State/National organization TH will get further information from Beth Lamarr at NAMI RI. We now have minutes, conflict if interest forms, insurance etc in place and only need to confirm the Bylaws. As these were originally written from NAMI National template he will ask Beth Lamarr to do this – after looking through, The name needs to be changed to our official 501c designation: NAMI Block Island Inc., Bylaws are on the website at https://blockislandmentalhealth.org/nami-bi-bylaws/ and all can look through for changes needed, e.g. “members” as we are not a member organization, and those on the Board are “directors”.

It was agreed that as the NAMI BI secretary, EC, is not on island, paper records of minutes, annual reports etc. would be kept in the Island Free Library. KB will arrange for a space in her office there, and electronic copies can be obtained from EC.

 

General Liability Insurance  PT is now arranging this through a new company as there is no need for the complications of professional liability and the history of that with the previous company. The Library will be named as additional insured for its records.

 

Launch of Telepsych services for Adolescents JH read part of an email received from Jeff Hunt in October: “we are very close to piloting the system using EPIC. There are a couple of technical issues to resolve”. This was copied to Pam Hoffman who could provide more detail, but none has been received as yet. It was agreed that SC would contact Dr. Clark to follow up, as there is actually nothing that NAMI BI can do, the service will operate between Bradley Hospital [through Jeff Hunt] and the Medical Center [Mark Clark]

 

5 Year Strategic Plan KB, JS, PT, WY have not met.

 

Conflict of Interest Forms Patrick & Gloria will sign

 

Washington Trust Account  JH reported that this is now ready for use. EC asked that as there would be a new debit card number attached this would be needed to insert in the WordPress account when the domain name for the website was renewed, as the old card would now be invalid. PT will give EC this information.

 

Data Base Report WY has received the data from PT, but it is sparse, so will try to find a list from Town register. WY will also prepare a letter to be sent.

 

PR with BI Times KB and WY will meet to think about strategic approach

 

Suicide Awareness Training  SC asked that follow-up to the community meeting on suicide take place. Rob Harrison from QPR who had come to the island in 2018 would come again and was interested in work with rescue squad and young people. Discussion noted that care was needed re statistics and that there was a state crisis team, and a link with Samaritans. It was agreed that follow-up with Rob Harrison should be through Jill Seppa, already his contact person.

 

New Business

Kyra Ernst was appointed to the Board, a Director of NAMI BI. JH reported that KE would represent both NAMI BI and BIHS on the Washington County Strategic Plan for Behavioral Health. GR commented that in her role as SAC coordinator she had met serious mental health issues, had asked for a meeting with health services, and AW was organizing a small committee. What was needed was a protocol or process giving a pathway for response when the emergency 911 was not what was needed. This would be useful for all, not just seniors, as for example Town Hall and Library also met these issues.

 

2020 May 29/30th Conference Planning WY has received a commitment from his Connecticut contact who will come to speak. Contact details will be given to SC for the team to take this and other aspects of the program forward.

 

CIT Subcommittee Peter Preiser has joined this group, reports to follow from Seattle Conference.

 

Family Support Group continues to meet at the Library on the first Saturday of each month. It was suggested that TF should have flyers about family support available at the Medical Center. PT suggested that all Town employees could also be made aware.

 

Behavioral Health issues and Aging SH is interested in film media, no update

 

Washington Trust Grant WY had found that we do qualify for a grant, but have missed this year’s deadline which was October 1st. Requirements are an application form, a named contact person and a specific project for capital funding. This will be followed up for next year.

Healthy Bodies Healthy Minds Website This organization and invite to joining the website comes from Susan Orban who had a few years previously run Mental Health First Aid at BI School. KB and JS would take NAMI BI forward re joining.

 

Adoption of NAMI-RI/National Policies This means record keeping, accounting etc. as defined by NAMI national. We should all look at the requirements and see if anything more than our already created minutes, annual report and treasurers report are needed.

 

Fundraising Effort This is all urgent work to be done this month. Decisions taken were that a general mailing would be planned to send by December 14th. Then a more targeted follow-up mailing could also be sent early in 2020. WY is drafting a letter, the focus to be on where NAMI BI is Now, with more stress on advocacy, and changes in NAMI BI as were highlighted in the Annual Report – which is on the website https://blockislandmentalhealth.org/annual-report-2018-2019-2/.

 

PT said that previously envelopes for sending and return had been ordered from Print Source along with copies of a letter, he will contact them. These would need to be ordered in time for stuffing in the week of 9,10, 11 December. WY would look for mail records from the Tax assessors office, and find the best list to use, possibly from Amy Land at Town Hall. When the material orders are confirmed stuffing will be on 10th and 11th December, arranged by emailing re times and place. It was noted that we do not have our own mail permit, can this be arranged?

 

The next Board meeting will be on December 12th, 8:30 AM, Island Free Library.

The meeting adjourned at 10.10 am

ACTIONS

JH

All – bylaws

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

KB, EC

 

 

 

PT

 

 

 

 

 

 

SC

 

 

KB, JS, PT, WY

 

PT, GR

PT, EC

 

 

WY

WY, KB

SC, JS

 

 

 

KE

 

GR, AW

 

KB, SC, TF, AW, KE

 

KE, TF

 

EC

SH, GR

WY

 

 

KB, JS

 

 

 

 

 

 

PT, WY, ALL

Submitted 11/10/2019, Elspeth Crawford,


NAMI-BI, Agenda, November 7, 2019

Library, 8:30 AM

Call to Order

Mission Statement

Minutes of October 10, 2019 Meeting (Minutes are dated September 5th but are actually the October 10th minutes)

President’s Report

Treasurer’s Report

Case Manager’s Report

Old Business

  • Update on Affiliation with State/National organization- JH
  • General Liability Insurance- PT
  • Launch of Telepsych services for Adolescents (2019?)- JH
  • 5 Year Strategic Plan Committee- KB, JS, PT, WY
  • Conflict of Interest Forms- Missing Patrick’s & Gloria’s
  • Washington Trust Account- Ready for use- JH
  • Data Base Report- WY, PT
  • PR Work with BI Times- KB, WY

 

New Business

  • Nomination of New Board Member – JH (Appointment of Nominating Committee)
  • 2020 May 29/30th Conference Planning (topic, Crisis Intervention Team)- KB, SC, TF, AW, KE
  • CIT Subcommittee Report on Tasks- KE, AW, KB, TF & Peter Preiser
  • Report on Seattle Conference- KE, TF
  • Ongoing Programs at Library- EC, KB, GR,
  • Update on Sue H. and Gloria R. discussions re Behavioral Health issues and Aging (media format?)- SH, GR
  • Washington Trust Grant- WY
  • Healthy Bodies Healthy Minds Website/Organization- joining a website or an organization? All
  • Adoption of NAMI-RI/National Policies- All
  • Fundraising Effort- who, when, what, and how- All

Adjournment- Next Meeting Date, December 12th, 8:30 AM, Island Free Library


NAMI BI Notes of Board Meeting, October 10th, 2019.                    

Present: Jim Hinthorn, Jill Seppa, Kristin Baumann, Will Young, Alison Warfel, Socha Cohen, Beth Gaffett Tengwall, Pat Tengwall, Elspeth Crawford [online],

Attending: Kyra Ernst, Peter Preiser, Paul Deane

Apologies: Sue Hagedorn, Gloria Redlich, Tracy Fredericks,

JH opened the meeting at 8.30 am and read the Mission statement:

NAMI BLOCK ISLAND is a nonprofit organization whose purposes are to bring mental health services to the island, to educate the public about mental illness in order to reduce stigma, and to provide support for families of persons with mental illness.

JH proposed a change of Agenda as Paul Deane from the New Shoreham Police Department was present and with Kyra Ernst would report on the CIT training they had attended in RI on 30th September.

Report on State CIT Training Program held in Westerly

Paul Deane and Kyra Ernst reported in detail and Kyra will write up a report, and also with TF will report on the earlier CIT conference in Seattle, for NAMIBI records. Both the conference and the RI training have been very well worth doing, both because of learning about helpful processes and because of people met and relationships forged that can develop for BI needs. Both Kyra and Paul felt that the presentations and workshops they attended had been very good, e.g. a Communication Skills workshop that was very enabling for change. The main point they had learned was probably that most if not all Crisis Intervention involves Law Enforcement Officers attending and that an initiative that has proved very helpful where it is tried is that a Mental Health Professional is named and works with the officers in the field as they respond. Such a professional has to have the authority to treat the “crisis person” concerned, and their support to crisis teams changes how incidents can be handled, at the same time as the Law Officers duty to ensure safety of person and others is still clearly met. Paul recognized the value of embedding a Mental Health Professional in a responding team, then put clearly the Block Island issue that there was [of course] the lack of such a resource immediately and geographically available. As he said “BI unique needs whatever the area, there is always one more layer”.

 

Another important point was that when a crisis on BI had been attended, the subsequent requirement to be with the “crisis person” for instance at South County Hospital, until they had been assessed and then taken in or treated, often took up a length of time that could be anything from 2 – 14 hours. Not only is the law officer’s time and Police Department budget used up in this waiting, but also an individual person who might want to be treated, may have gone through this process too often, and therefore no longer wants to “go again” and may resist, and need persuasion. In interventions where a mental Health Professional is attached , this long waiting for assessment process and the associated frustration is bypassed or reduced.

 

Kyra and Paul had spoken with Liz Gledhill from Thundermist who is a state representative on a budget committee for Behavioral Health in RI, and she had heard the problem and recognized the frustration felt that often help cannot be given in a proper and timely manner.

 

Paul also recognized that BI is very fortunate to have Vin Carlone as Police Chief, as he goes out of his way to help.

 

There was a great deal more useful discussion and hope that this issue of crisis is now moving forward and will be followed up through the contacts made. Much of this may be dependent on others, for example the timing of when relevant bills come before State house. Paul has contacts with South County Police Departments, and so will continue to push for BI needs. Kyra will create a list of the services and contacts that have come about through the Seattle Conference and the Westerly Training and will distribute this.

 

JH thanked Paul very warmly for his contribution, appreciated by the Board, after which Paul left the meeting.

 

JH asked how we would move CIT forward, and AW said that we do have a CIT sub-committee which she proposed should now have an altered charge. The subcommittee is AW, TF, KE, KB and Peter Preiser, and the task undertaken:

i.         Should continue involvement with the New Shoreham Police Department

ii.         Work out starategy and liaison

iii.         Advocate with State [and contacts now known] re the issue of underfunding

iv.         Maintain and add to the list of resources already mentioned that Kyra is creating.

KE summarised: What CIT means in our community and what is needed here.

 

OTHER BUSINESS – was then covered very quickly as time remaining was shot.

 

Update on Affiliation with State/National organization, and Status on BoD Insurance – the bylaws should be reviewed by a lawyer, as they were originally taken from NAMI this should be straightforward. The BoD insurance will cost $744 per year. The Conflict of Interest Forms were circulated and BoD member present signed. [EC form already signed].

 

Launch of Telepsych services for Adolescents – JH reported that he had been told by Jeff Hunt that the pilot system with Epic was now “close” but still no date.

 

Change of Status TF – Tracy is a Board Member, for as long as she wishes, although her employment status has changed since she is now employed by the Medical Center.

 

5 Year Strategic Plan Committee – JS, PT, WY and KB will meet.

 

Signatures on Checking Account– TH, KB and PT named signers with Washington Trust

 

Data Base Report- PT will give all remaining data to WY by 31 October or before. It is needed so that a funding letter can go out before the year end.

 

PR Work with BI Times – Brown alumni newsletter had a relevant, JH will send to KB and WY and they will talk to Schroeder and Trodson of the BI Times.

 

2020 May 30th Conference Planning

The date is decided: Friday evening May 29th and Saturday May 30th, 2020, so this information “NAMI BI Spring Conference, 2020” can go on the website [EC] and to the BI Chamber [conference planning]. The topic will be Crisis Intervention. Although the conference planning subcommittee and the CIT subcommittee share 4 of the same people, the tasks are separate. Conference planning will choose the title, and find speakers etc.

 

Mariah Tinkham presentation ideas to involve young people – KE can contact Mariah

Behavioral Health issues and Aging: Update from Sue H. and Gloria R. no information

 

Washington Trust Grant– WY will bring information to the next board meeting

 

Community Response to Recent Suicide All expressed sympathy and concern. AW was able to inform the Board how first responders had attended then debriefed, how Susana Gardner had been in contact with the family and Maryanne Seeback [Town Human Resources Coordinator]would follow up. It is coincidental but is now known from the CIT training that there is a mobile crisis team from the hospital that will come to the community. AW recognized that communication concerning suicide had to be addressed with care, said that resources had been made available in timely way, BIHS had open hours and a community gathering had been held with various parts of community such as school, well represented.

 

Healthy Bodies Healthy Minds website: JS reported that South County Wellness suggested joing an interactive website [https://ourbodiesminds.org/] that had been set up. This would bring NAMI BI to their attention and also enable us to see what resources from there might be useful. JS and EC will follow up. It was also agreed that JS would put the NAMI BI logo on the BI School education week “honoring national initiatives”.

 

Monthly Meeting Dates The earlier decision on timing was revisited, and it was agreed that NAMI BI Board meetings would be held on the SECOND Thursday each month in the Library at 8.30 am, except for the next meeting in November when the meeting would be on the first Thursday.

 

NEXT Meeting Thursday November 7th at the Library 8.30 – 10 am.

December meeting will be Thursday 12th December.

 

The meeting closed at 10.06 am.

 

ACTIONS

KE, TF

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

KE

 

 

 

 

 

KE, AW, TF, KB,

Peter Preiser

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PT – insurance

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JS, PT, WY and KB

 

PT – on or before 10/31

 

KB, WY and JH.

KB, SC, TF, AW, KE

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JS, EC

 

 

ALL

 

Submitted 10/13/2019, Elspeth Crawford


NAMI-BI, Agenda, October 10, 2019

Library, 8:30 AM

Call to Order

Mission Statement

Minutes of September 5, 2019 Meeting

President’s Report

Treasurer’s Report

Case Manager’s Report- is it appropriate to receive this report from Tracy going forward?

Old Business

  • Update on Affiliation with State/National organization- JH
  • Status of BOD Insurance- PT
  • Launch of Telepsych services for Adolescents (2019?)- JH
  • Tracy’s Status as it relates to our board now that she is with the Medical Center
  • 5 Year Strategic Plan Committee- JS, PT, WY
  • Conflict of Interest Forms- All
  • Signatures on Checking Account- finalize paperwork from Washington Trust
  • Data Base Report- WY, PT (assume all information is loaded with Elio)
  • PR Work with BI Times- KB, WY

 

New Business

  • 2020 May 30th Conference Planning (topic, Crisis Intervention Team)- KB, SC, TF, AW, KE
  • Report on State CIT Training Program held in Westerly- KE (Paul Dean, I’ll invite him)
  • Report on Seattle Conference- KE, TF
  • Report on Summer Programs- When do they end- EC, KB, GR, SC
  • PACE and NAMI-BI- what is our role- All
  • Mariah Timken presentation- Status of a second presentation
  • Update on Sue H. and Gloria R. discussions re Behavioral Health issues and Aging (media format?)- SH, GR
  • Washington Trust Grant- WY
  • Community Response to Recent Suicide- All
  • Jill Seppa’s Request on monthly meeting date change- All

Adjournment- Next Meeting Date?, 8:30 AM, Island Free Library


NAMI BI Notes of Board Meeting, September 5th, 2019.                  

Present: Kristin Baumann, Will Young, Alison Warfel, Socha Cohen, Beth Gaffett Tengwall, Pat Tengwall, Tracy Fredericks, Elspeth Crawford [online], Kyra Ernst, Mariah Tinkham

Apologies: Jim Hinthorn, Jill Seppa, Sue Hagedorn

KB opened the meeting at 8.3 am and EC read the Mission statement:

NAMI BLOCK ISLAND is a nonprofit organization whose purposes are to bring mental health services to the island, to educate the public about mental illness in order to reduce stigma, and to provide support for families of persons with mental illness.

Minutes of August 8th meeting approved.

President’s report: report from KB, vice president, chairing the meeting as JH cannot attend. KB and JH had met with Mike Brownstein, a good meeting, helping focus on NAMI BI future role now that telemedicine has moved officially to the Medical Center. See items below. Also, as JH cannot attend again on 3rd October, the mext NAMI BI Board meeting will be moved to 10th October. It is hoped that this also enables the clash that JS has with her Mainland meetings with South County Wellness Coalition [prevention of drug and alcohol abuse].

Treasurer’s Report: as expected at this time of year, no details given.

Case Manager’s Report: TF status as part of Medical Center is completed, effective from 9/1/19. She reports busy, new computer is in, furnishings and clock ordered, waiting to hear from Tracy Guthrie [Butler Hospital trainee supervisor for telepsych] about a suitable camera. She has been paid for purchases and up to July 2019, so NAMI BI still to reimburse her for August hours.

Case Manager’s Report: TF status as part of Medical Center is completed, effective from 9/1/19. She reports busy, new computer is in, furnishings and clock ordered, waiting to hear from Tracy Guthrie [Butler Hospital trainee supervisor for telepsych] about a suitable camera. She has been paid for purchases and up to July 2019, so NAMI BI still to reimburse her for August hours. PT will also sort out with Town Finance and the Medical Center how the payment process will happen in the future. AW acknowledged that TF joins the Medical Center team.

 

Affiliation and Insurance: Can now proceed, as TF is now insured. PT to move this forward, along with JH.

 

Signatures on Checking Account: PT says has not yet been completed, will arrange.

KB noted that the workload at the moment for PT was considerable. Also, the changes in NAMI BI and looking forward to the development of the 5 year Strategic plan would add to work required. She hoped he would ask for help as and when needed.

 

NAMI BI and BIHS Fun Run Report: NAMI BI gained $1100. PT named 2 checks $1224.2 + 200 to Medical Center. [EC apology in writing minutes – not sure from my meeting notes what is expenses what receipt – nor how it fits with report from last month’s minutes. Request clarification.]

 

Strategic Plan: KB will contact JS and other members of the subcommittee, to get meeting dates and begin work on the 5-year plan.

 

New Business

CIT Conference Report, and 2020 May 30th Conference Planning: KE and TF both reported that although attendance at the conference was expensive they had found it “great” and really worthwhile. They had tried to cover as much as possible of multiple sessions, especially learning about other rural communities and making contacts helpful to BI. Two items from their report brought discussion. First – a good contact has been made with Thundermist in RI, and that person will be bringing CIT training to RI, where there is none at present. This could be available to BI participants, funded, but would be 40 hours commitment, a week’s work time. KE and TF would be interested, but the other item learned was how crucial it was to have PD involved in Crisis Training. The second discussion therefore was not just who might be able to attend, but recognized that 75% law enforcement were involved in crisis intervention. KE and TF had learned that it was really important not just to ask or hope that PD officers might attend a training, but that the approach to PD in the first place should be carefully thought through. For example KE told us how she had heard of other rural communities, though unlike ours very spread out, where the PD had a Mental Health Officer. After a range of responses, and names of those who might be asked to assist in this “approach with authority / advocacy” style, it was agreed that WY would make contact with a person he knows from Connecticut who has background and experience to bring mutual respect to the interaction. As the RI training will be in the week of September 30th, he will report back to NAMIBI via the google group.

 

KB commented that it looked as if the Strategic Plan was coming into the picture right here and now.

 

The 2020 conference planning team will also be working on CIT and reporting back.

 

Summer Programs Report: EC – they have now ended, found the format of TED talk and discussion good. KB said she was “sold” on this idea, it created much more engagement from a variety of different people. She intended to continue at the Library and could bring forward more discussion events, such as book talks, at which NAMI BI would be promoted with logo and flyers as a co-organizer with IFL.

 

PACE meetings with SAC: As GR not present, PT reported that he had attended the last PACE meetings and heard that there was now a focus on creating a residential care building on the island. This would not be aimed toward mental health support, though would not exclude it.

 

Data-base report: WY reported that the goal is to send fund raising letters at the end of the year, and that he and PT will get the data. The letter itself will need to be well written, and should emphasize how NAMI BI is now enabling its mission more through advocacy.

 

BI Times: WY and KB will continue work with BI Times and make a proposal.

 

Conflict of Interest Forms: to be signed and brought to next meeting. SC and EC have already given to KB.

 

Presentation from Mariah Tinkham: Mariah was welcomed to the meeting. She told NAMI BI that she had been inspired by the Roots and Wings programs, to think about how to work with children, such as she had done over the summer, running a children’s yoga. She has taken a week-long mindfulness training certificate in mental health, and would like to put on programs for children on BI. There were suggestions from AW, EC, SC, PT and information about similar activities already here, so that Mariah might find cooperative spaces in which she could develop her plans. It was also suggested that she produce and more detailed proposal.

 

Behavioral Health Issues and Aging: As SH and GR were not present, information on this will hopefully be at the next meeting.

 

Meeting adjourned at 10am.

 

ACTIONS

 

PT

 

 

 

 

 

 

PT and JH

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PT

 

 

 

 

KB, JS, PT, WY.

 

 

 

WY, and KE, TF.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

KB, SC, TF, AW, KE

 

KB – with other?

 

 

 

WY, PT

 

WY, KB

All

 

 

 

 

 

 

SH, GR

Submitted 09/08/2019, Elspeth Crawford


NAMI BI Agenda September 5, 2019


NAMI BI Notes of Board Meeting, August 8th, 2019.            

Present: Jim Hinthorn, Sue Hagedorn, Kristin Baumann, Will Young, Alison Warfel, Socha Cohen, Beth Gaffett Tengwall, Pat Tengwall, Gloria Redlich, Tracy Fredericks, Elspeth Crawford [online]

JH opened the meeting at 8.3 am and read the Mission statement:

NAMI BLOCK ISLAND is a nonprofit organization whose purposes are to bring mental health services to the island, to educate the public about mental illness in order to reduce stigma, and to provide support for families of persons with mental illness.

Minutes of July 11th meeting approved.

President’s report: Items to which JH draws attention are all on the agenda.

Treasurer’s Report:

PT reported on end of fiscal year, July 2019, and the changes following in Case Manager’s transfer to the Medical Center [BIMC] which becomes final on September 1st. At the moment $24,243.60 in the account, and a new account has to be opened following NAMI BI change in status to 501c3. Details of expenditure and income are on the Treasurers report [to be circulated]. The two grants received are from “Network for Good” [letter of thanks to be sent] and Town contribution, in 2018/9 was 7,000. For 2018/9, the $10,000 agreed from Town will be sent to NAMI BI in the first instance as the proportion for July and August will be paid to TF by NAM BI, but remainder goes to the BI Medical Center from September. In the transfer process, BIMC has given assurance that whatever changes may take place, the allocation for the Case Manager of telepsychiatry will be continued. This assurance was requested by Amy Land, Town Finance.

Further discussion noted that the support to BI Film Festival was a good investment bringing mental health awareness, and should be continued in the next year provided that an appropriate film or films are part of the program.

 

Case Manager’s Report:

TF reported that telemedicine was busy, with both residents and summer visitors, some hour long slots were necessary for new users of the service. The times available to the service are limited by Butler and availability of the resident, although full it is sufficient. The new resident is Dr. Jessica Turner. The new computer is good, necessary paperwork for the switchover to BIMC is up to date.

 

Update on Affiliation with State/National organization and Tracy’s Status (NAMI/Med Center):

Previously NAMI BI could not complete the affiliation process due to insurance requirements. As TF is now insured under BIMC, and as above in Case Manager’s Report, Town, NAMI BI and BIMC and especially TF have all details complete, NAMI BI will proceed with insurance for itself. As the Board meets in the Library, premises insurance is already covered. PT will contact Dave at Lathrop Insurance and update on cover now needed (which is for ourselves as Directors) and get the insurance required. By coincidence, Beth Lamarr of NAMI RI had just contacted JH to renew the stalled affiliation process. JH will draft a letter and will take this forward. Beth Lamarr has been invited to attend Board meetings if she is able to do so.

 

Launch of Telepsych services for Adolescents:

TF and Jeff Hunt are in contact and the logistics that holds it up is a hardware/software matter, so it will be resolved. The launch should happen before end 2019.  AW suggested the Medical Center and NAMI BI should think about writing a joint statement for publicity.

 

5-Year Strategic Plan Committee:

Discussion recapped the need, especially re past experience in applying for grants and the work done by JS by herself. The sub-committee JS, PT, WY and KB will meet after the summer.

 

BIHS/NAMI-BI Fun Run:

JH reported that the winners were a 13 yr-old male and a 20 yr-old female, from 100 runners in lousy weather conditions. Overall there was $3550 gross and after expenses $1500 divided between BIHS [for BIMC] and NAMI BI. The Drapers were thanked for supplying complimentary food, and other helpers Pete Tweedy and Gene Hall for trucking. It was also clear that a probably more important outcome than monetary for the organizations were the values of promoting health, awareness raising, and the making of contacts. WY said he had spoken to a participant David Burnett, retired CEO of Reliance Health (a community mental health center) in Norwich CT and hoped to continue the conversation. Discussion also agreed that it was good that refillable water bottles rather than single use were available, and SC suggested that a generic NAMI BI banner should be bought for use at NAMI BI events. It was agreed that the Fun Run was worth doing, and should be repeated next year.

 

Crisis Intervention and 2020 May 30th Conference Planning:

As previously agreed the 2020 conference will have Crisis Intervention as topic, with sub-committee KB, SC, TF, AW, Kyra Ernst as planning committee, and NAMI BI is supporting TF and KE in attending the CIT training conference in Seattle at the end of August. As well as giving the feedback from the training, TF and KE will be open to contacts made, e.g. for speaker. Contact with Pam Hoffman from last year’s conference is also ongoing.

Re crisis, now, AW said that referrals to telemedicine (including adolescent when it launches) can now be directly to her at BIMC, as well as to TF, who would then work with AW. This way there are records for the EHR system tracking data. SH commented that this is a good results for the integration of physical and mental health. It also progresses the work towards a seamlessness of services and confidentiality for patients. AW said that the room at BIMC has been refurbished with good computer, new chairs and couch cover (using gift card for chairs). is also working with CODAC (non-profit Behavioral Health organization based in Cranston) and that therapist Dana d’Abate comes to BI and uses the room, usually on Sundays. Peter Oppenheimer also uses the room, referrals to him can be through BIMC or the Bi School. There has been an energy shift in BIMC towards Wellness and Behavioral Health as well as physical health, so the former is now just one of many other activities and there is a focus on privacy, for example all patients can use the back entrance if they wish.

 

New Checking Account Signatures:

PT and JH will sign for checks of $1000 or more.

 

Report on Summer Programs:

EC reported on the TED talks so far – one attended by only 4 (all NAMI BI Board members) another attended by 5 visitors and also by Mary and Marguerite Donnelly, as well as some NAMI BI members, and one in-between. SC commented that whether or not there was varied attendance, the talks were of considerable interest and discussion enabled us, though information and deeper connections. EC commented that with the IFL support, the format was incredibly easy to run, requiring little more than the Saturday time commitment. SC and KB continue the program after EC leaves BI. The Family Support Group also meets on the first Saturday every month with varied attendance, and is found helpful.

 

PACE Meetings:

The PACE contact with BI is organized by the Senior Advisory Committee, and Gloria Redlich, NAMI BI Board Director as well as Senior Coordinator. GR and JH reported on the hybrid service system offered by PACE and the conditions under which individuals are covered (over 55 years, and with an identified need or disability that includes mental conditions, hence overlap with NAMI BI). As a possible winter project, GR is working with PACE and with SH putting together a documentary interviewing people re “What Makes Resilience”. GR, SH and KB will take this forward. The next PACE community work session is on August 21st.

 

GR also commented that SAC and Maryann Seebeck, Town of New Shoreham part-time Human Services coordinator, were making it known to Town that the contribution to NAMI BI and to Human Services was very much less than to other services, and this should be remedied.

 

Data Base for NAMI BI:

PT has passed the record of previous contributors to WY. WY confirmed that he had made contact with various database providers and chosen the one that would best serve our group, that was also happily the least expensive at $35 per month, although the size with which they deal -2500 – is ample for us. WY will get updates from PT as they arrive and will manage the database.

 

Further business:

The Board Directors need to sign “conflict of interest” forms. These will be available at the next meeting.

SC asked about publicity – JH will contact Michael Schroeder of BI Times about this, possibly getting a quarterly ad and report on activities, whatever might be offered.

 

 

Next Meeting: September  5th, 8.30 am at Island Free Library. JH cannot be present, will send Agenda and Meeting will be chaired by KB.

 

 

The meeting adjourned at 9.50 am.

 

ACTIONS

 

PT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JH

 

 

 

 

 

AW

 

JS, PT, WY and KB

 

 

 

JH – thanks letters

WY

[EC – for info – since NAMI BI Board meeting, David Burnett made contact through our website, and details have been  forwarded to WY]

 

SC –  explore size, layout, cost

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

KB, SC, TF, AW, Kyra Ernst

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PT, JH

 

 

 

 

 

 

SC, KB

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

GR, SH and KB

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

GR

 

 

 

 

 

 

PT, WY

 

 

 

 

JH – give to KB

 

 

JH

 

 

JH

Submitted 08/14/2019, Elspeth Crawford


NAMI-BI, Agenda, August 8, 2019

Library, 8:30 AM

Call to Order

Mission Statement

Minutes of July 11, 2019 Meeting

President’s Report

Treasurer’s Report

Case Manager’s Report

Old Business

  • Update on Affiliation with State/National organization- JH
  • Launch of Telepsych services for Adolescents (2019?)- JH
  • Tracy’s Status (NAMI/Med Center, Joint letter with BIHS)- TF, JH
  • 5 Year Strategic Plan Committee- Fall Activity- JS, PT, WY
  • Report on BIHS/NAMI-BI Fun Run- JH

 

New Business

  • 2020 May 30th Conference Planning (topic, Crisis Intervention)- KB, SC, TF, AW, KE
  • Sub Committee on Crisis Intervention Team/Community Based Approach- Seattle- KE, AW
  • Signatures on Checking Account (threshold for two signatures) All
  • Report on Summer Programs- EC, KB, GR, SC
  • Report on 2nd Block Island Community Meeting with PACE, July 22nd– GR, JH
  • Data Base software (contributors) status of- WY, PT

Adjournment- Next Meeting, September  5th (or 12th)- All


NAMI BI Notes of Board Meeting, July, 11, 2019.                 

Present: Jim Hinthorn, Kristin Baumann, Will Young, Socha Cohen, Tracy Fredericks, Elspeth Crawford,

Apologies: Gloria Redlich, Beth Gaffett Tengwall, Pat Tengwall, Jill Seppa.

Call to Order: JH opened the meeting at 8.33 am and called an order to decamp to Ernies for breakfast.

Minutes of June 6, 2019 Meeting. Some nice things were said about the international secretary who graciously accepted comments and approval, and swears she will continue to be in everyone’s mind, at least during meetings through facetime entry. [And very much enjoyed the breakfast, thankyou all.]

President’s Report: Interrupted by ordering of breakfast. Agenda on table and business conducted in good orders – a lot achieved in an eggscellent meeting. JH has been talking with Michael Schroeder on BI Times so hope NAMI BI will have a presence in the paper on a regular basis.

 

Treasurer’s Report: OK

 

Case Manager’s Report: OK

 

BIFF Post Mortem– Good outcome and promotion from support of film. Motion agreed to support again next year, especially if film showing is on the topic on mental health, but it was acknowledged that the festival is both good for health, and NAMI BI support good for getting us better known, so we would like to continue to support as we can.

 

Update on Affiliation with State/National organization, and Tracy’s Status (NAMI/Med Center). The medical Center has agreed that TF and the Case manager work now come sunder their umbrella, so she is insured there. Discussion with Amy Land re Town contribution of $10,000 is that this now goes to Medical center provided that an agreement is signed that the Case Manager work there will continue no matter what other changes take place. TF will make sure this happens.

 

JH and PT can now proceed with insurance for NAMI BI and then deal with finalizing the affiliation process.

 

Report on South County Coalition Program for Employers/Employees (BOAT)- held on June 20,  JH had attended and reported that excellent presentations were given, but most present were Police and Emergency personnel, only a few employers. However, worth doing, and worth doing again, so hope that JS will keep this work going.

 

Report on Brown/Butler /Bradley telepsych. The annual meeting at the Medical Center on June 19 was very rewarding, the program continues to satisfy both clients and training purposes. The meeting Report -on googlegroup – was copied to BI Medical Director Mark Clark, and to Butler [Tracy Guthrie and Steve Rasmussen] and Bradley [Jeff Hunt] as most of the actions to take place are theirs. NAMI BI should take note in September of what has been followed up, and if necessary call another meeting, to advocate /push for the actions. Launch of Telepsych services for Adolescents (2019) TF is in contact re the logistics of organization. It is hoped that the Child telepsych launch will happen in the fall.

It was agreed that TF would go ahead with ordering a new computer as is needed, and hopefully cost could be shared between NAMI BI and Medical Center. EC will send tracking camera information to TF and KB to see if this is useful for eg family group tele.

 

5 Year Strategic Plan – subcommittee – JS, PT, WY will convene in the fall. In discussion it was recognized that strategic planning creates an overview of the way forward within which details like fund raising or grant application preparation could use adaptable “templates” and the annual reports that are already on the website. It would also make use of a data-base and WY has agreed to be data-base manager. He has researched companies, and recommended a database company called  “Eleo”. Cost is in the region of $39 per month, for 2500 records available. It was agreed that he would go ahead with applying for an “Opportunity Grant” from them. He will keep the Board informed and work with PT to create the base, and the fields that we want to use when making contact with our supporters. The Strategic Plan subcommittee will meet after the summer. EC will look at general strategic plan template, or contents, and circulate.

 

Crisis Intervention Kyra Ernst and TF will attend the CIT training in Seattle in August and then join with Alison Warfel as NAMIBI CIT subcommittee to plan what works here.

 

Review of May Conference and 2020 May Conference Planning

Much of this year’s success was due to the willingness and excellence of the speakers. Because Jeff Hunt and Liz Jorgensen committed early to the date and program, the rest of the planning was straightforward. The suggestion that 2020 should focus on Crisis was welcome. 2020 planning subcommittee is KB, SC TF and AW with Kyra Ernst. Looking at dates for 2020 May Mental Health Month – the weekend of Saturday May 30th looks good for BI. TF is in touch with Pam Hoffman [Bradley Emergency Department and one of excellent speakers in May], the committee will se if Pam can be available that weekend and work from there after TF nd KE return from the Seattle Conference.

 

SC gave feedback from this years conference, and it was noted that teen involvement in activities was low. The planners will include ideas [if any from Seattle re teens] and also think about use of social media for publicity.

 

Signatures on Checking Account (threshold for two signatures) The Board agreed that JH and PT would be the two signatures required for sums over $1000.

 

Report on Summer Programs  – Some interesting attendance and good talks, the format works as we get better informed about issues also.

 

BIHS/NAMI-BI Fun Run, Saturday, Aug 4th– JH led discussion and has already done a great amount of preparation work. SC, WY and TF agreed to attend at 8am in preparation for registration etc, and the race start at 10.30 expected to be over by noon.  JH and WY will work together on the promotion which is also well in hand. Thanks to JH for so much organization.

 

PACE – 2nd Block Island Community Meeting, July 22nd. JH will attend, GR is organizer.

 

Adjournment- Next Meeting, Thursday, August 8th in the Library, 8.30 am.

 

ACTIONS

PT

 

TF

 

 

JH, KB – liaise with BIFF

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TF

 

 

JH, PT

 

 

 

JS

 

 

 

 

 

 

JH

 

 

 

 

 

TF

TF

EC

 

 

 

WY

 

 

 

 

EC

 

 

 

TF, AW

 

 

 

KB, SC, TF, AW and KE

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JH PT

 

 

EC SC

 

 

JH WY

 

 

 

 

 

JH

Submitted July 11, 2019, Elspeth Crawford


NAMI-BI, Agenda, July 11, 2019

Library, 8:30 AM

Call to Order

Mission Statement

Minutes of June 6, 2019 Meeting

President’s Report

Treasurer’s Report

Case Manager’s Report

Old Business

  • BIFF Post Mortem- KB, SC, JH
  • Update on Affiliation with State/National organization- JH
  • Report on South County Coalition Program for Employers/Employees (BOAT)- June 20-JS
  • Report on Annual Brown/Butler Telepscyh Program- All
  • Launch of Telepsych services for Adolescents (2019?)- JH
  • Tracy’s Status (NAMI/Med Center)- TF
  • 5 Year Strategic Plan Committee- Fall Activity- JS, PT, WY
  • Review of May Conference- All

 

New Business

  • 2020 May Conference Planning- All
  • Sub Committee on Crisis Intervention Team/Community Based Approach- Seattle- KE, AW
  • Signatures on Checking Account (threshold for two signatures) All
  • Report on Summer Programs- EC, KB, GR, SC
  • BIHS/NAMI-BI Fun Run, Saturday, Aug 4th– who will attend for us- All
  • 2nd Block Island Community Meeting with PACE, July 22nd– All
  • Post Mortem on May Mental Health Conference- All
  • Data Base software (contributors) decision & action- WY, PT, JH

Adjournment- Next Meeting, August 1st or August 8th?- All